In 1923, the entire second floor over the Carlson store and the post office was secured and turned into a fully equipped hospital. Miss Sophie Stene was the "expert superintendent nurse" in charge. The hospital was formally opened to the public on Saturday, September 29, 1923. However, patients were already using the facility by that time. It was predicted that the hospital was going to be used by people from Beresford, SD as well as from surrounding towns that had no hospitals.